How to start Mac in Recovery Mode via terminal
- Open terminal
- Run the following commands (requires admin password) (Intel)
sudo nvram internet-recovery-mode=RecoveryModeDisk
- Run the following commands (requires admin password) (Apple)
sudo nvram recovery-boot-mode=unused
How to start Mac in Recovery Mode (Intel)
- Restart your computer
- Immediately hold down the Command + R keys until you see an Apple logo
- Eventually your Mac will show the Recovery Mode Utilities window
How to start Mac in Recovery Mode (Apple Silicon)
- Press and hold the Power button until the display shows Loading Startup Options
- This takes you to the Startup Options screen.
- Select the Options icon, then click Continue underneath it.
Tools provided include:
- Main window – Restore from Time Machine, Reinstall macOS, Safari, Disk Utility
- Apple menu – Startup Disk, Restart, Shut Down
- Utilities menu – Startup Security Utility, Terminal, Share Disk
- Online help is available when you open Safari.